The Ultimate Shark Conservation Experience!
-Sign up for the trip of a lifetime with Saltwater Life & Basking Shark Scotland Summer 2014.
– Learn about Shark Biology, Physiology, Ecology & Conservation
– Observe and swim in the wild with the gentle giants of the shark world – Basking Sharks
More than one in every six assessed shark species is classified by the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) as threatened with extinction.
Participation in the AWARE Shark Conservation Program taught by Shark Biologist Dr Lauren Smith will provide you with information about shark species, how and why they are being overexploited, current management practices in place, as well as advising you about what actions you can take to aid the understanding and protection of shark species worldwide.
The Basking Shark is the second largest fish in the world and the largest in the UK (reaching up to 12m in length!) and throughout the British summer can be seen cruising around our coastline, congregating in particular areas along the West Coast of Scotland. Here they can be seen “Basking” at the surface – filter feeding plankton out of the water.
During this time you have a unique opportunity to observe the sharks by boat and/or in the water, with Basking Shark Scotland and Dr Lauren Smith on hand to answer any questions you may have about this species. This is wildlife at its best, on their terms in their environment.
– This unique shark conservation experience is ideal for those considering a career in shark biology, and conservation management practices as well as for interested individuals looking to gain a greater understanding about global shark conservation alongside a unique and inspirational encounter with a local shark species (that just happens to be the second largest in the world – pretty awesome!!)
– The AWARE Shark Conservation Program (recognized by an official certification) and Basking Shark trip can be completed in 1 day and will be running on Saturday 16th August 2014 (total cost £250 per person, minimum number of participants for trip to run 6), with the option to extend your time on the water with Basking Shark Scotland.
– For further information about this course, or if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Lauren here; email: firstname.lastname@example.org website: www.saltwaterlife.co.uk